Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Plato and Aristotle from ‘The School of Athens’
- Teaching the nature of science (and keeping students engaged)
- Dilbert Analogy Cartoon
- Can science answer questions about morality?
- The Role of Men in the Modern World
- Does Truth Matter? - Carl Sagan
- Science and art from Dilbert
- Can Science Save its Soul
- The Moon Landings Were Faked and the Characteristics of a Good Hypothesis
- The Limits of Imagination
- Categorical Logic booklet (deductive logic)
- Is Mathematics Discovered or Invented?
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Humans in Dark Times
- Trump and the ‘Society of the Spectacle’
- Unraveling Love Stories
- It’s Black History Month. Look in the Mirror.
- Rethinking Our Patriotism
- Can We Live With Contradiction?
- The Intellectual Life of Violence
- Our New Age of Contempt
- Bernard-Henri Lévy: Jews, Be Wary of Trump
- The Stories We Tell Ourselves
- Deadly U.S. Heroin Overdoses Quadrupled in 5 Years
- Your Brain as Laboratory: The Science of Meditation
- The Science of Genius
- An Oscar-Nominated Film Inspires a New Approach to Autism
- How Sound Can Be an Ally or an Enemy of a Healthy Brain
- Transgender Kids: What Does It Take to Help Them Thrive?
- Life Expectancy Study Suggests U.S. Will Lag behind
- What Are Personality Disorders?
- Inner Spark: Using Music to Study Creativity
- Brain–Computer Interface Allows Speediest Typing to Date
- The data behind Hollywood's sexism | Stacy Smith
- A few ways to fix a government | Charity Wayua
- A robot that eats pollution | Jonathan Rossiter
- The racial politics of time | Brittney Cooper
- Nationalism vs. globalism: the new political divide | Yuval Noah Harari
- Don't fear superintelligent AI | Grady Booch
- How jails extort the poor | Salil Dudani
- 3 ways to fix a broken news industry | Lara Setrakian
- How to practice safe sexting | Amy Adele Hasinoff
- An electrifying acoustic guitar performance | Rodrigo y Gabriela
Author Archives: admin
Q: DO we take our democracy for granted? TWO weeks ago I noticed a billboard advertisement not far from where I live.
Q: IS there a political obligation to obey the law? EVENTS in England this past week bring to mind that old starting point of political philosophy: the state of nature. This is the hypothetical condition of humanity before the establishment … Continue reading
Q: SHOULD the federal government be funding school chaplains in state schools? Ask the Philosopher Column by Tim Soutphommasane in The Australian August 20, 2011 religion-is-not-a-state-obligation (pdf) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Uploaded by Richard Tweedie.
Fallacies of reasoning confirmation bias.
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
As delivered to Victorian schools
In 1688, an Irish polymath named William Molyneux wrote the English philosopher John Locke a letter in which he posed a vexing question: Could a blind person, upon suddenly gaining the ability to see, recognize an object by sight that … Continue reading
Three Critical Questions By Randy L. Bell, Ph.D. Teaching the Nature of Science
Philosopher column in the Weekend Australian poses questions about this popular show. What is the fine line between not mollycoddling children vs exposing them unecessarily to pressure? Consumerism, social psychology & philosophy, rights & obligations of adults to children. Can … Continue reading
Do we need language to understand the basics of numbers? Mind, Science. TOK. Numbers and Language (pdf)
MUMBAI: Astrology has been debunked by most world scientists including India’s renowned physicist Prof. Yash Pal. However, it is “science” in India. Philosophy of religion, philosophy of science,TOK, appeal to tradition, logical fallacies, reasoning. Astrology is a science_ Bombay HC … Continue reading
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Teaching the Nature of Science.pdf
One of the best and most easily understood introductions to evolution around. Philosophy of science. Evolution comic (pdf)
News article about how modern men shape up to their ancient counterparts. Social and political philosophy. Human nature. The Role of Men in the Modern World (pdf)
Deductive logic, argument, argumentation.
FEMALE drug addicts in Wales could soon be offered money to use contraceptive implants to stop them falling pregnant. Political and social philosophy. TOK. Paid not to reproduce (pdf)
Hysterical Dilbert cartoon. Critical thinking, argument, argumentation.
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)