Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Plato and Aristotle from ‘The School of Athens’
- Teaching the nature of science (and keeping students engaged)
- Censorship II
- How to properly use Ad Hominem attacks
- Philosophy of Mind essay topic
- Casting the profiling net
- Theory of Knowledge - Sense Perception
- Crop Circles and the Characteristics of a Good Hypothesis
- Fallacies of Reasoning booklet
- Victorian Philosophy Syllabus
- Atheism as a 'Null Hypothesis'
- Learn to be Psychic in 10 Easy Lessons
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Humans in Dark Times
- Trump and the ‘Society of the Spectacle’
- Unraveling Love Stories
- It’s Black History Month. Look in the Mirror.
- Rethinking Our Patriotism
- Can We Live With Contradiction?
- The Intellectual Life of Violence
- Our New Age of Contempt
- Bernard-Henri Lévy: Jews, Be Wary of Trump
- The Stories We Tell Ourselves
- Deadly U.S. Heroin Overdoses Quadrupled in 5 Years
- Your Brain as Laboratory: The Science of Meditation
- The Science of Genius
- An Oscar-Nominated Film Inspires a New Approach to Autism
- How Sound Can Be an Ally or an Enemy of a Healthy Brain
- Transgender Kids: What Does It Take to Help Them Thrive?
- Life Expectancy Study Suggests U.S. Will Lag behind
- What Are Personality Disorders?
- Inner Spark: Using Music to Study Creativity
- Brain–Computer Interface Allows Speediest Typing to Date
- The data behind Hollywood's sexism | Stacy Smith
- A few ways to fix a government | Charity Wayua
- A robot that eats pollution | Jonathan Rossiter
- The racial politics of time | Brittney Cooper
- Nationalism vs. globalism: the new political divide | Yuval Noah Harari
- Don't fear superintelligent AI | Grady Booch
- How jails extort the poor | Salil Dudani
- 3 ways to fix a broken news industry | Lara Setrakian
- How to practice safe sexting | Amy Adele Hasinoff
- An electrifying acoustic guitar performance | Rodrigo y Gabriela
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)