Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- The Moon Landings Were Faked and the Characteristics of a Good Hypothesis
- Science and Truth
- Introduction to Critical Thinking
- How Science Works
- Social Philosophy booklet
- John Cleese on the good bits of philosophy
- Inductive Reasoning booklet
- The Skills, Values and Virtues of Inquiry
- Who is 'you'?
- Tips on Writing a Philosophy Paper/Essay
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Who First Showed Us That Black Lives Matter?
- The ‘Killer Robots’ Are Us
- What Is the Future of Speculative Journalism?
- Will America Choose King’s Dream or Trump’s Nightmare?
- Keep Our Mountains Free. And Dangerous.
- Can We Learn to Believe in God?
- Waking Up to the Gift of ‘Aliveness’
- Gratitude: In Sickness and Health
- For Veterans, a Path to Healing ‘Moral Injury’
- In Dark Times, ‘Dirty Hands’ Can Still Do Good
- Blockchain platforms can enable good work
- Museum Conservation and 21st Century Education
- Anchors Aweigh: Universities and local industrial strategies
- The Non Sense of Work Life Balance
- The rights of people with a disability are being ignored – what can we do?
- Bringing classical music to a new audience
- The power of creative thinking
- Regulation of AI: Not if but when and how
- Norwich’s coffee house challenge
- 21st Century Coffeehouse
- FDA Okays First Concussion Blood Test--but Some Experts Are Wary
- When Doctors Diagnose Danger
- What Is the Bystander Effect?
- "Sonic Weapon Attacks" on U.S. Embassy Don't Add Up--for Anyone
- Thinking Outside the Quantum Box
- The Secret behind One of the Greatest Success Stories in All of History
- Decoding the Overlap between Autism and ADHD
- The Case for the "Self-Driven Child"
- Researchers Find No Strong Link between Prenatal Ultrasounds and Autism
- The Tilted Road Illusion
- Fashion that celebrates African strength and spirit | Walé Oyéjidé
- The secret to great opportunities? The person you haven't met yet | Tanya Menon
- 3 creative ways to fix fashion's waste problem | Amit Kalra
- Why I train grandmothers to treat depression | Dixon Chibanda
- The virginity fraud | Nina Dølvik Brochmann and Ellen Støkken Dahl
- The surprising ingredient that makes businesses work better | Marco Alverà
- Capitalism isn't an ideology -- it's an operating system | Bhu Srinivasan
- 3 lessons of revolutionary love in a time of rage | Valarie Kaur
- "My Fine Reward" | Tito Deler
- How protest is redefining democracy around the world | Zachariah Mampilly
February 2018 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 1 2 3 4
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
IPAL conference (pptx)
Il confronto tra i due pensatori a proposito della teoria della conoscenza. Percorso per una classe prima del triennio superiore (16 – 17 anni) del liceo classico. Aristotele e Platone (ppt) (Uploaded by Anna Caterina Cabino.)
Scientific literacy. QSA Science (pptx)
Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)
The changing Climate of Skepticism The Changing Climate of Skepticism (ppt)
This episode of the Philosophy Bites podcast focuses on Aristotle’s Ethics. In conversation with Nigel Warburton, Terence Irwin of Oxford University explains the key features of this influential work. Terence Irwin (mp3)
Jean-Paul Sartre’s notion of Bad Faith lies at the core of his existentialist classic Being and Nothingness. In this episode of the Philosophy Bites podcast Sebastian Gardner explains what Sartre meant by Bad Faith. Sebastian Gardner on Sartre on Bad … Continue reading
From Philosophy Bites. Philosophy of Science. Nice piece and quite short. David Papineau on Scientific Realism (mp3)
Accompanying slides, so stop stalking 🙂 Skeptics presentation (ppt)
Philosophers have been fascinated by paradoxes since ancient times. In this episode of the Philosophy Bites podcast Nigel Warburton interviews Peter Cave about paradoxes and their relevance to philosophy. Peter Cave on Paradoxes (mp3)
Radio National Philosopher’s ZOne interview with Peter Ellerton about teaching philosophy in schools. pze-20080105 – Ellerton interview (mp3)
Philosophy began in earnest with Socrates. He asked impertinent questions. In this interview with M.M. McCabe, Philosophy Bites explores the nature of Socratic Method and Socrates’ claim that the unexamined life is not worth living. Pocast from Philosophy Bites. M.M. … Continue reading
Brilliant clip of how to design a survey to get the result you want. Bias, social, critical thinking. Yes Minister Survey (wmv)
Slides from a presentation on science, pseudoscience and critical thinking. Includes 10 signs useful in sorting pseudoscience from the real deal. A Wolf in Sheep’s Labcoat (ppt) (Uploaded by Mike McRae.)
A special episode of The TANK Vodcast – interviews with Dr Jeff Malpas, Dr Stephan Millett and Dr Alan Tapper, members of FAPSA, by Kylie Sturgess. [NOTE: no accompanying file.] (Uploaded by Kylie Sturgess.)
Classic Python scene. Great for deductive logic, analogy, fallacies of reasoning. Mp4 format – good for ipods. About 4 minutes and 25 Mb. witch (mp4)
Brilliant clip showing the strawman fallacy, false dichotomy and the difference between direct and indirect argument. Only a minute or so long. wmv file. Direct-indirect (wmv)
Series by Lawrence M Hinman EthicalEgoism (ppt)
Series by Lawrence M Hinman Relativism (ppt)
Series by Lawrence M Hinman Religion and Ethics (ppt)