Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Skeptics on Skeptical Thinking - ABC's All In the Mind Transcript And mp3
- Did aversion to bitter tastes evolve into moral disgust?
- Should The Great Apes Have Rights?
- 1,500 Animal Species Practice Homosexuality
- Tips on Writing a Philosophy Paper/Essay
- 15 EVOLUTIONARY GEMS
- These foolish things or three kinds of fools
- Kant, Immanuel (1724-1804) - Critique of Practical Reason
- Psychology and Psychics - Why some people think they are psychic.
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- A Lesson for (and From) a Dystopian World
- Why Fiction Trumps Truth
- What Happens When Our Leaders Lack Moral Courage
- ‘Feminine Weakness’ Is a Scam
- Power? No, Thanks, I’m Good
- Breaking My Own Silence
- Elena Ferrante: A Power of Our Own
- Beware of ‘Snakes,’ ‘Invaders’ and Other Fighting Words
- The Sacred Spell of Words
- Athens in Pieces: An Offering to the Soccer Gods
- Toward a New Frontier in Human Intelligence: The Person-Centered Approach
- Icy Room Temperatures May Chill Productivity
- Creative Types Reserve a Special Corner of the Brain for Dreaming Big
- A Solution for Loneliness
- Cannabis Compound Eases Anxiety and Cravings of Heroin Addiction
- Firefighter Suicides Rise in the Wake of Deadly Wildland Blazes
- How to Be a Data-Driven Parent
- Be Careful with Occam’s Razor, You Might Cut Yourself
- Failure to Launch Syndrome
- The Real Reason Fans Hate the Last Season of Game of Thrones
- What prosecutors and incarcerated people can learn from each other | Jarrell Daniels
- My identity is a superpower -- not an obstacle | America Ferrera
- The anti-CEO playbook | Hamdi Ulukaya
- The next global agricultural revolution | Bruce Friedrich
- Sloths! The strange life of the world's slowest mammal | Lucy Cooke
- How to build your confidence -- and spark it in others | Brittany Packnett
- The difference between healthy and unhealthy love | Katie Hood
- How AI could become an extension of your mind | Arnav Kapur
- What you should know about vaping and e-cigarettes | Suchitra Krishnan-Sarin
- Could a tattoo help you stay healthy? | Carson Bruns
May 2019 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 29 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Category Archives: Philosophy of Religion
Irrational ideas. Intelligent design. Philosophy of religion. Philosophy of science. (cartoon)
How irreducible complexity, a stalwart of the Intelligent Design movement is NOT supported by the bacterial flagellum. Philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, hypothesis. Mark Perakh discusses how Intelligent Design proponents created the myth that bacterial flagella look like man-made … Continue reading
All the arguments for and against the existence of god – from the excellent site www.philosophyofreligion.info thanks Tim! Philosophy of religion. Philosophy of religion Booklet
Scanned article about a woman’s simple life and the choices she makes. Good for stoicism, hedonism, epicurus, epicurianism, fatalism, religion perhaps…?
A discussion of one of the central problems in philosophy of religion – if God is all knowing, how can I have free will? God and Free Will (wmv)
Series by Lawrence M Hinman Religion and Ethics (ppt)
Paper used to assess the three PAR criteria at the completion of a Philosophy of Religion unit. Answers attached at end. Item 8 – Unit Exam (Uploaded by Paul Stronach.)
This piece passed through Panel unscathed, so presumably safe to use. Requires students to explain and critique one of the established philosophical arguments for or against the existence of God. Item 7 – Research Essay (Uploaded by Paul Stronach.) … Continue reading
A brief explanation of the teleological argument. The text references made in the presentation refer to Horner & Westacott ‘Thinking Through Philosophy’ (2001, Cambridge). Teleological Argument explanation (ppt)
A brief explanation of the cosmological argument. Cosmological Argument explanation (ppt) (Uploaded by Paul Stronach.)
This is a brief summary of Dawkins’ argument as presented his book, ‘The God Delusion’ (2006). The passage was scripted as a model answer to the final question posed in my ‘Teleological Argument’ powerpoint (obtainable from the Powerpoint folder). Objections … Continue reading
Worksheet which requires students to complete reading on topic from the Horner & Westacott ‘Thinking Through Philosophy’ (2001) text with answers attached. The Problem of Suffering worksheet
Lord Ram and the Hindu religious beliefs that are tested by recent scientific discoveries. Scanned newspaper article. Check the public outrage. Good for philosophy of religion and social philosophy.
More gems from New Scientist. Philosophy of science. Ontology. The truth is out there New Scientist vol 165 issue 2226 – 19 February 2000 Instruments such as microscopes or telescopes can reveal the physical world to us, showing a cell’s walls or … Continue reading
How much of what we do is free will and how much is because of the ‘mob’ we find ourselves in? New Scientist. Political philosophy, philosophy of mind, social philosophy. Free Will and the Mob They made me do it … Continue reading
Scanned article about religion and science and how they interact. Some intelligent design comments. Based around statements by Pope Benedict.
Several articles in one discussing religious views on abortion, gay marriage, etc. Religion, ethics, society.
Will make for interesting discussion. Scanned newspaper article. Ethics, religion and society.