Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Teaching how to think is just as important as teaching anything else
- Plato and Aristotle from 'The School of Athens'
- Ability to Think Scientifically Declines as Kids Grow Up
- Critical Thinking on the Web
- Is Obama's Nobel Peace Prize Premature?
- John Cleese on the good bits of philosophy
- Misunderstanding Statistics
- Science in the lead?
- Top Ten Evolution Myths - and how we know it really happened (pdf)
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- What Pop Stoicism Misses About Ancient Philosophy
- Humans Are Animals. Let’s Get Over It.
- Death Has Many Names
- What Would David Bowie Do?
- Are We the Cows of the Future?
- Time Isn’t Supposed to Last This Long
- A.I. and I
- Of Death and Consequences
- I Don’t Want You to ‘Believe’ Me. I Want You to Listen.
- Teaching Racial Justice Isn’t Racial Justice
- News: December 2021 / January 2022
- Guto Dias’ Cartoon
- Simon & Finn
- Benedict de Spinoza (1632-1677)
- Philo of Alexandria (c.20BCE-c.50CE)
- On Philosophy and Philosophers: Unpublished papers, 1960-2000 by Richard Rorty
- A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
- The Happy State
- The Philosopher with a Thousand Faces
- What Is Happiness?
- The Green Corridors Initiative
- Governance governing government
- Why print money when we can print wealth?
- Building a resilient health and care system
- We'll always have Paris?
- Experimentation and equity in global cities
- Technology-enabled deliberative democracy
- Healthier placemaking
- Creating a sovereign wealth fund in Wolverhampton
- Economic recovery and climate action
- How Brains Seamlessly Switch Between Languages
- The Psychological Differences between Those Who Love and Loathe Black Friday Shopping
- 'Constructive Arguing' Can Help Keep the Peace at Your Thanksgiving Table
- Expanding Mental Health Care Is a Medical Necessity
- Why People Won't Rethink Holiday Plans during a Pandemic
- Cannabis Use in Pregnancy Is Linked to Child Anxiety, Hyperactivity
- Infants as Young as Two Months May Be Able to Detect Faces and Scenes
- Personality Type, as well as Politics, Predicts Who Shares Fake News
- How Certain Gestures Help You Learn New Words
- Many Neuroscience Conferences Still Have No Black Speakers
- The dream of educating Afghan girls lives on | Shabana Basij-Rasikh
- How gratitude rewires your brain | Christina Costa
- The value of kindness at work | James Rhee
- What is melatonin -- and should you take it to fall asleep? | Matt Walker
- Is it really that bad to marry my cousin? | Mona Chalabi
- Ancient wisdom for healing the planet | Shweta Narayan
- The surprising health benefits of dreaming | Matt Walker
- The science of extreme weather -- and how to reduce the harm | Al Roker, Al Gore, David Biello and Latif Nasser
- Dear world leaders, these are our climate demands | Xiye Bastida, Shiv Soin and Latif Nasser
- How accurate is the weather forecast? | Mona Chalabi
December 2021 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 29 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Blasphemy and Public Policy
Lord Ram and the Hindu religious beliefs that are tested by recent scientific discoveries. Scanned newspaper article. Check the public outrage. Good for philosophy of religion and social philosophy.