Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Philosophy Rationale
- Allegory of Everything
- Victorian Philosophy Syllabus
- Evolution: science and belief - Intelligent Design?
- A Wolf in Sheep's Lab Coat - Pseudoscience in the 21st Century
- Theory of Knowledge - Sense Perception
- Tackling the Problem of Free Will
- The power of the non sequitur
- Do Subatomic Particles have Free Will?
- QSA Science ppt
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- We Need a Monument to the Unknown America
- Don’t Fear Dying. Fear Violence.
- Should We Cancel Aristotle?
- Was This Ancient Taoist the First Philosopher of Disability?
- What if We Could Have Meat Without Murder?
- Montaigne Fled the Plague, and Found Himself
- Policing Is Doing What It Was Meant to Do. That’s the Problem.
- White America Wants Me to Conform. I Won’t Do It.
- Carrie Mae Weems: A Crack in the Cultural Armor
- A Cog in the Machine of Creation
- News: August/September 2020
- How Do We Understand Each Other?
- What Colour Are Numbers?
- Paul Wood’s Cartoon
- Philosopher of the Heart: The Restless Life of Søren Kierkegaard by Clare Carlisle
- Iris Murdoch (1919-1999)
- The Battle for the Robot Soul
- Back to the Future
- Virtual Reality as a Catalyst for Thought
- The Singularity of the Human Hive Mind
- Healthier placemaking
- Creating a sovereign wealth fund in Wolverhampton
- Economic recovery and climate action
- Melancholy and the pandemic
- Turning the tide of cynicism
- Myth busting our curriculum
- Are our homes still fit for heroes?
- Creating an inclusive employment future for disabled people
- Learning from solidarity
- Justice reform in the UK and US
- Were French People Born to Speak French?
- Dampening of the Senses Is Linked to Dementia Risk
- Misdiagnosing Our Cyberhealth
- How Dozens of Languages Help Build Gender Stereotypes
- Paired Comparisons Could Mean Better Witness Identifications
- We'll Never Fix Systemic Racism by Being Polite
- Neural Switch Flips on Aggression in Male Mice
- The Weirdness of Watching Yourself on Zoom
- How Your Homes and Buildings Affect You
- Picturing God as a White Man Is Linked to Racial Stereotypes about Leaders
- Can light stop the coronavirus? | David Brenner
- Give yourself permission to be creative | Ethan Hawke
- Deep learning, neural networks and the future of AI | Yann LeCun
- How to connect while apart | Eric Yuan
- The new invisible workforce | Mary L. Gray
- A comprehensive, neighborhood-based response to COVID-19 | Kwame Owusu-Kesse
- New ways to understand life in a pandemic | Aaron Maniam
- The fight for civil rights and freedom | John Lewis and Bryan Stevenson
- A call to end the media coverage mass shooters want | Tom Teves
- A new stock exchange focused on the long-term | Michelle Greene
August 2020 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Category Archives: Assessment Items
A nice overview from Douglas W. Portmore Tips on writing a philosophy paper (pdf) The full text is below…
Paper used to assess the three PAR criteria at the completion of a Philosophy of Religion unit. Answers attached at end. Item 8 – Unit Exam (Uploaded by Paul Stronach.)
This piece passed through Panel unscathed, so presumably safe to use. Requires students to explain and critique one of the established philosophical arguments for or against the existence of God. Item 7 – Research Essay (Uploaded by Paul Stronach.) … Continue reading
From past IB papers, I suspect. Philosophy of Mind Questions
Can you believe in the existence of ‘mind’ without being a dualist? That’s all the document says so don’t bother opening it… Philosophy of Mind Essay topic
A basic criteria sheet for marking philosophy essays – simple but good for beginners. Criterea sheet for philosophy essays
A rubric to help assess critical thinking from Washington State University – Great starting point. CIT Rubric 2006