Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Obese Child Removed from Parent Care
- Philosophy of Religion
- Philosophy Ideas
- Cognitive Dissonance Explained
- The Mind Body Problem
- The web means the end of forgetting - an essay on forgetting, re-invention and personal identity in the age of Facebook
- Can science answer questions about morality?
- Socratic questioning
- Yes Prime Minister - Survey Design
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Deepfakes Are Coming. We Can No Longer Believe What We See.
- Becoming Parents to Ourselves
- The Myth That Defines Our Age
- Seeking Refuge, Legally, and Finding Prison
- Before I Could Change the World, I Had to Change Myself
- Power Is Everywhere, but Love Is Supreme
- Enough With Crumbs — I Want the Cake
- A Lesson for (and From) a Dystopian World
- Why Fiction Trumps Truth
- What Happens When Our Leaders Lack Moral Courage
- Why Freud Should Be Dead
- Better Memory through Electrical Brain Ripples
- Using Marijuana to Get High Dates Back Millennia
- Are People with ADHD More Creative?
- Free Will Is Real
- Clearing Up Some Misconceptions about Neurodiversity
- A New Approach to Addiction Treatment
- The Mindset of Eating Disorders
- "Noncoding" Mutations May Play Unexpected Key Role in Autism
- We Should All Use They/Them Pronouns ... Eventually
- The political power of being a good neighbor | Michael Tubbs
- My life as a work of art | Daniel Lismore
- Why we get mad -- and why it's healthy | Ryan Martin
- 3 steps to turn everyday get-togethers into transformative gatherings | Priya Parker
- The mysterious microbes living deep inside the earth -- and how they could help humanity | Karen Lloyd
- The most detailed map of galaxies, black holes and stars ever made | Juna Kollmeier
- The healing power of reading | Michelle Kuo
- The lies our culture tells us about what matters -- and a better way to live | David Brooks
- "Everything happens for a reason" -- and other lies I've loved | Kate Bowler
- Floating cities, the LEGO House and other architectural forms of the future | Bjarke Ingels
June 2019 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)