Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Fallacy of 'Appeal to Nature'
- Why do humans reason? Arguments for an argumentative theory
- The Tale of the Slave
- The power of categorical logic
- What is the link between language and consciousness?
- Calvin & Hobbes - Ethics
- Hume, David - A Treatise on Human Nature
- Causation booklet
- TANK Vodcast On Philosophy In Schools
- Three essays about France's response to the veil (hijab, burqa, etc.)
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- What Pop Stoicism Misses About Ancient Philosophy
- Humans Are Animals. Let’s Get Over It.
- Death Has Many Names
- What Would David Bowie Do?
- Are We the Cows of the Future?
- Time Isn’t Supposed to Last This Long
- A.I. and I
- Of Death and Consequences
- I Don’t Want You to ‘Believe’ Me. I Want You to Listen.
- Teaching Racial Justice Isn’t Racial Justice
- News: December 2021 / January 2022
- Guto Dias’ Cartoon
- Simon & Finn
- Benedict de Spinoza (1632-1677)
- Philo of Alexandria (c.20BCE-c.50CE)
- On Philosophy and Philosophers: Unpublished papers, 1960-2000 by Richard Rorty
- A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
- The Happy State
- The Philosopher with a Thousand Faces
- What Is Happiness?
- The Green Corridors Initiative
- Governance governing government
- Why print money when we can print wealth?
- Building a resilient health and care system
- We'll always have Paris?
- Experimentation and equity in global cities
- Technology-enabled deliberative democracy
- Healthier placemaking
- Creating a sovereign wealth fund in Wolverhampton
- Economic recovery and climate action
- Lego Robot with an Organic 'Brain' Learns to Navigate a Maze
- Aha! Moments Pop Up from below the Level of Conscious Awareness
- Schoolkids Are Falling Victim to Disinformation and Conspiracy Fantasies
- Borderline Personality Disorder May Be Rooted in Trauma
- COVID Threatens to Bring a Wave of Hikikomori to America
- Epstein-Barr Virus Found to Trigger Multiple Sclerosis
- New Year's Resolutions Are Notoriously Slippery, but Science Can Help You Keep Them
- What Will 2022 Bring in the Way of Misinformation on Social Media? 3 Experts Weigh In
- Salvador Dali's Creative Secret Is Backed by Science
- People Have Been Having Less Sex--whether They're Teenagers or 40-Somethings
- The mind-bending art of deep time | Katie Paterson
- A different understanding of American patriotism | Deval Patrick
- 4 ways to redefine power at work to include women of color | Rha Goddess and Deepa Purushothaman
- The new reality of fashion is digital | Gala Marija Vrbanic
- Are brain waves the secret to treating Alzheimer's? | Li-Huei Tsai
- What if women built the world they want to see? | Emily Pilloton-Lam
- How to fix broken supply chains | Dustin Burke
- Woolly pigs, high tech and other ingenious ways to take carbon out of the air | Gabrielle Walker
- How radical hospitality can change the lives of the formerly incarcerated | Reuben Jonathan Miller
- The unexpected, underwater plant fighting climate change | Carlos M. Duarte
January 2022 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)