Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- The Green Corridors Initiative
- Governance governing government
- Why print money when we can print wealth?
- Building a resilient health and care system
- We'll always have Paris?
- Experimentation and equity in global cities
- Technology-enabled deliberative democracy
- Healthier placemaking
- Creating a sovereign wealth fund in Wolverhampton
- Economic recovery and climate action
- Good (and Bad) Ways to Help a Dog Afraid of Fireworks
- How Parents' Trauma Leaves Biological Traces in Children
- A Playbook for Science Denial, 'Scientific Phallocracy' in the Animal Kingdom, and More
- Why Social Media Makes People Unhappy--And Simple Ways to Fix It
- The Kavli Prize Presents: Understanding Neurodevelopment and Neurodegeneration [Sponsored]
- Strawberry Fields
- Behind Every Smile
- Militia Expert Warns Trump's Capitol Insurrectionists Could Try Again
- When Things Feel Unreal, Is That a Delusion or an Insight?
- Why You Can't Remember Being Born: A Look at 'Infantile Amnesia'
- How to alter the perception of mental health care in Russia | Olga Kitaina
- How data-driven journalism illuminates patterns of injustice | Alison Killing
- The blind spots of the green energy transition | Olivia Lazard
- The humans at the center of the US immigration debate | Ali Noorani
- Why healthy soil matters now more than ever | Jane Zelikova
- An invitation to reexamine your familiar world | Gillian Tett
- Why art is a tool for hope | JR
- An interdimensional performance of imagination | Particle Ink
- SpaceX's supersized Starship rocket -- and the future of galactic exploration | Jennifer Heldmann
- Africa's great carbon valley -- and how to end energy poverty | James Irungu Mwangi
July 2022 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 27 28 29 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)