Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Penguin Logic
- Social Philosophy booklet
- Post modernism explained?
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) - What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Kant, Immanuel (1724-1804) - Critique of Pure Reason
- Rene Descartes - The Later Years
- Simpsons - post hoc ergo propter hoc
- Homeopathic leak threatens catastrophe
- Calvin & Hobbes - Ethics
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Life Is Short. That’s the Point.
- The Beast in Me
- Our Hubris Will Be Our End
- Revelation of a Liverpool Soccer Fan
- Our Deepest Condolences
- We Are Merging With Robots. That’s a Good Thing.
- The Humanity We Can’t Relinquish
- There Will Never Be an Age of Artificial Intimacy
- Are We All ‘Harmless Torturers’ Now?
- How We Lost the Sky
- Work and the Transition Myth
- Enabling education for all
- Designing a roadmap to ethical AI in Government
- Businesses must go All In for sustainability
- How do governments add value to society?
- Is there hope for Blackpool?
- Does the UK measure up on food and health?
- A Wider Landscape on Democracy
- Type R and Organisational Resilience
- The New Localism: Think Like a System, Act Like an Entrepreneur
- What Are the Jobs That Immigrants Do?
- Stop Comparing Yourself to Others with These 5 Tips
- Sex, Drugs and Self-Control
- Life at the Improv: The Power of Imagination
- Autism and DDT: What 1 Million Pregnancies Can—and Can't—Reveal
- A Necessary Evil
- An Entirely New Type of Antidepressant Targets Postpartum Depression
- Can Talk Therapy Help People Who Are Unable to Experience Joy?
- Are Boys Better Than Girls at Math?
- Men Who Advocate for Others in the Workplace Face Backlash
- How urban spaces can preserve history and build community | Walter Hood
- How cancer cells communicate -- and how we can slow them down | Hasini Jayatilaka
- What a scrapyard in Ghana can teach us about innovation | DK Osseo-Asare
- Why I fight for the education of refugee girls (like me) | Mary Maker
- The little risks you can take to increase your luck | Tina Seelig
- How teachers can help kids find their political voices | Sydney Chaffee
- How AI can save our humanity | Kai-Fu Lee
- You are fluent in this language (and don't even know it) | Christoph Niemann
- You may be accidentally investing in cigarette companies | Bronwyn King
- Fake videos of real people -- and how to spot them | Supasorn Suwajanakorn
August 2018 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)