Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- Burka ban a headache for a liberal society
- Just think: it's important
- How Science Works in Action
- Cognitive Bias in Reasoning
- QSA Science ppt
- Penguin Logic
- Monty Python - 'We found a witch!' scene from The Holy Grail
- Yes Prime Minister - Survey Design
- STAQ ppt presentation
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- The Lesson History Teaches Is Tragic
- How We Went From ‘Soup Nazis’ to Real Nazis
- What Kind of Problem Is Climate Change?
- Do We Really Understand ‘Fake News’?
- The Beauty of the Ordinary
- Why Are Poor Women Poor?
- Should Work Be Passion, or Duty?
- Don’t Dismiss ‘Safe Spaces’
- Why Philosophers Shouldn’t Sign Petitions
- Dear God, Are You There?
- Dangerous Minds: Nietzsche, Heidegger, & the Return of the Far Right by Ronald Beiner
- News: October/November 2019
- Schopenhauer’s Flight of the Valkyries
- Shelley Matheis’ Cartoon
- Goading Gladiators
- Michel Serres (1930-2019)
- The Mind of Leonardo da Vinci
- Conceptual Origami
- Philosophical Outlook & Mental Well-Being
- Why Do Some People Need Less Sleep? It's in Their DNA
- Happier Babies Have an Edge
- Is Moral Relativism Really a Problem?
- Latitude Adjustment: Distance from the Equator Shapes Our Thinking
- Ancient Teeth Reveal Social Stratification Dates Back to Bronze Age Societies
- How Mere Humans Manage to Comprehend the Vastness of the Universe
- Artificial Intelligence Learns to Talk Back to Bigots
- Sleep Deprivation Shuts Down Production of Essential Brain Proteins
- The Fearful Mind
- It's Time for a World without Gender
- A circular economy for salt that keeps rivers clean | Tina Arrowood
- How family separation at the US-Mexico border affects children's mental health | Luis H. Zayas
- An app that helps incarcerated people stay connected to their families | Marcus Bullock
- How we can eliminate child sexual abuse material from the internet | Julie Cordua
- After billions of years of monotony, the universe is waking up | David Deutsch
- Revelations from a lifetime of dance | Judith Jamison and members of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- What Bruce Lee can teach us about living fully | Shannon Lee
- How we're using DNA tech to help farmers fight crop diseases | Laura Boykin
- A personal plea for humanity at the US-Mexico border | Juan Enriquez
- A radical plan to end plastic waste | Andrew Forrest
October 2019 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)