Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
- A Wonderful Piece of Pseudoscience in Advertising
- What use Philosophy?
- Tackling the Problem of Free Will
- Putting a brake on tolerance
- Digital Piracy
- Reasons for Reason
- A Mini Guide to Critical Thinking
- Does Truth Matter? - Carl Sagan
- Peace of Mind: Near-Death Experiences Now Found to Have Scientific Explanations
- Dilbert Confirmation Bias
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- Philosophy in the wake of Empire part 5: Tracks of thought
- Philosophy in the wake of Empire part 4: Africa
- Philosophy in the wake of Empire pt. 3: Missionary feminism
- Philosophy in the wake of Empire pt. 2: Migrants and other Others
- Philosophy in the wake of Empire pt. 1: The white way to think
- The problem with humanism
- Feminism, ecology, motherhood
- Could I Be My Own Soul Mate?
- It’s a Terrible Day in the Neighborhood, and That’s O.K.
- The Real Cost of Tweeting About My Kids
- The Perils of Abstraction
- We Don’t Actually Want to Be Happy
- Are You a Moderate? Think Again
- Marie Yovanovitch’s Moral Courage
- The Lesson History Teaches Is Tragic
- How We Went From ‘Soup Nazis’ to Real Nazis
- What Kind of Problem Is Climate Change?
- Harley Schwadron’s Cartoon
- News: December 2019 / January 2020
- Trump & Arendt Debate The Wall: Fictive Questions, Real Answers
- Chris Gill’s Cartoon
- Am I Dreaming? by James Kingsland
- Would Machiavelli Vote For Donald Trump?
- Cosmopolitanism & Immigration
- Galileo’s Error by Philip Goff
- Dewey & Climate Denial2
- Proverbs for Engraving onto Imperial Monuments
- How a Flawed Experiment "Proved" that Free Will Doesn't Exist
- The Language You Speak Influences Where Your Attention Goes
- Police Killings of Unarmed Black Americans May Affect Health of Black Infants
- Is ASMR Real or Just a Pseudoscience?
- Could Fruit Flies Reveal the Hidden Mechanisms of the Mind?
- It's Time to Shift Tactics on Alzheimer's Disease
- Americans Are Fast to Judge Social Class
- What Racial Discrimination Will Look Like in 2060
- The Dark Side of Gratitude
- Ick Factor Is High Hurdle for Recycled Drinking Water
- A video game that helps us understand loneliness | Cornelia Geppert
- The problem of light pollution -- and 5 ridiculously easy ways to fix it | Kelsey Johnson
- 3 ways to be a more effective fundraiser | Kara Logan Berlin
- How I'm using biological data to tell better stories -- and spark social change | Heidi Boisvert
- How I use art to tackle plastic pollution in our oceans | Alejandro Durán
- The incredible chemistry powering your smartphone | Cathy Mulzer
- How you can use impostor syndrome to your benefit | Mike Cannon-Brookes
- 7 beliefs that can silence women -- and how to unlearn them | Deepa Narayan
- Why I draw with robots | Sougwen Chung
- The search for our solar system's ninth planet | Mike Brown
December 2019 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 25 26 27 28 29 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5
Category Archives: PowerPoints, Video and other Media
If ‘I’ change ‘my’ mind? Then where do ‘I’ fit in?
Sam Harris on TED
Via Embiggen Books In this excellent talk given by Peter Ellerton (winner of the 2008 Australian Skeptics prize for Critical Thinking) on the Climate Change debate, the viewer is encouraged to examine the way in which the debate is being … Continue reading
Excellent intellectual exercise
An interesting take on the subject by QualiaSoup…
Another excellent video from RSA Animate http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/
HSQ HSQ presentation (pptx)
Power point & questions for grade 10 students. Metaphysics, are you a brain in a vat? Overview of Descartes’ evil demon hypothesis (ppt) Comprehension and understanding questions (doc) Descartes and the Evil Demon answers (doc) (Uploaded by Diane Butler.)
Ocham’s Razor episode with Peter Ellerton on Inductive and Deductive Reasoning and courses in schools. Critical thinking. Ockhams Razor – Ellerton (mp3)
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)