Where science meets art. The only necessary and sufficient book store in Melbourne.
Hope our friends enjoy the new look and feel – now optimised for mobile devices for access on the go.
Coordinator: Peter Ellerton
Web guy: Jason Etheridge
- A nice Philosophy of Mind summary
- The power of categorical logic
- What exactly is the scientific method and why do so many people get it wrong?
- Paralympic athletes faster than olympic athletes — what does this tell us about difference?
- Logic: if + then = why? How can we understand the power of logic?
- How do we ensure we are exposed to new ideas? A parody with bite.
- A Life of Meaning (Reason Not Required) – What is the nature of our relationship with reason?
- Can you name this cognitive bias?
- By what measures can we value human life?
- Teaching philosophy improves standardised scores
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Neuroscience and education: myths and messages
- Free will is not as free as we think – and that’s ok.
- Where’s the Proof in Pseudoscience?
- Science in the lead?
USEFUL RSS FEEDS
- What We Owe to Others: Simone Weil’s Radical Reminder
- Who First Showed Us That Black Lives Matter?
- The ‘Killer Robots’ Are Us
- What Is the Future of Speculative Journalism?
- Will America Choose King’s Dream or Trump’s Nightmare?
- Keep Our Mountains Free. And Dangerous.
- Can We Learn to Believe in God?
- Waking Up to the Gift of ‘Aliveness’
- Gratitude: In Sickness and Health
- For Veterans, a Path to Healing ‘Moral Injury’
- Blockchain platforms can enable good work
- Museum Conservation and 21st Century Education
- Anchors Aweigh: Universities and local industrial strategies
- The Non Sense of Work Life Balance
- The rights of people with a disability are being ignored – what can we do?
- Bringing classical music to a new audience
- The power of creative thinking
- Regulation of AI: Not if but when and how
- Norwich’s coffee house challenge
- 21st Century Coffeehouse
- What Is "Normal," Anyway?
- Talking with--Not Just to--Kids Powers How They Learn Language
- Adolescent Risk-Takers: The Power of Peers
- 7 Beliefs of Emotionally Healthy People
- Intelligent Machines That Learn Like Children
- Child's Play: Learning Like Infants May Boost Artificial Intelligence
- What Makes Us Vibe?
- This Is What the Race Gap in Academia Looks Like
- Tech Dealers Now Trying to Save the Tech "Addicts" They've Created
- FDA Okays First Concussion Blood Test--but Some Experts Are Wary
- Refugees want empowerment, not handouts | Robert Hakiza
- How to have a healthier, positive relationship to sex | Tiffany Kagure Mugo and Siphumeze Khundayi
- A life-saving invention that prevents human stampedes | Nilay Kulkarni
- How to resolve racially stressful situations | Howard C. Stevenson
- Looking for a job? Highlight your ability, not your experience | Jason Shen
- How we can build AI to help humans, not hurt us | Margaret Mitchell
- The secret to great opportunities? The person you haven't met yet | Tanya Menon
- 3 creative ways to fix fashion's waste problem | Amit Kalra
- Fashion that celebrates African strength and spirit | Walé Oyéjidé
- Why I train grandmothers to treat depression | Dixon Chibanda
February 2018 Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 1 2 3 4
Author Archives: admin
Is there something wrong with the scientific method? Philosophy of science. From the New Yorker. The Truth Wears Off (pdf)
Are all wrongs equally wrong? TOK, philosophy of science, nature of truth, inductive reasoning. Asimov – The Relativity of Wrong (pdf) Full text below
Can language shape how we think? A Stanford researcher says yes, and her work speaks volumes about what makes people tick. TOK Philosophy of language, philosophy of mind. TOK Resource – Language and Thought
Nature of Science – philosophy of science STEM conference – Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)
IPAL conference (pptx)
Il confronto tra i due pensatori a proposito della teoria della conoscenza. Percorso per una classe prima del triennio superiore (16 – 17 anni) del liceo classico. Aristotele e Platone (ppt) (Uploaded by Anna Caterina Cabino.)
The web means the end of forgetting – an essay on forgetting, re-invention and personal identity in the age of Facebook
Author: Jeffrey Rosen, a law professor at George Washington University An essay about the difficulty of forgetting & re-invention in the age of the Internet, Facebook, etc. Excerpt: We’ve known for years that the Web allows for unprecedented voyeurism, exhibitionism … Continue reading
Another great example of the genre. Point at issue, straw man, fallacies of reasoning.
Confirmation bias, bad analogy analogies, etc.
Q: Is it illiberal for governments to ban practices judged to be illiberal, as the French government is doing with its intended ban on the burka? AskThePhilosopher 01May2010 Burka ban a headache for a liberal society (docx) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Q: Is it disloyal to criticise aspects of Anzac Day because you believe it involves myth and ritualised militarism? AskThePhilosopher 24Apr2010 Pride in the past isnt necessarily a lost cause (docx) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Marc Hauser and Peter Singer. Empirical evidence of innate morality? Philosophy of mind. Moral philosophy. HauserSingerMoralRelig05
Good Sagan stuff. Philosophy of science. Does Truth Matter and related articles – Carl Sagan (pdf) Full text below
Scientific literacy. QSA Science (pptx)
Q: If we believe that nation-states should be sovereign, what role should notions of universal human rights play in refugee policies? AskThePhilosopher 17Apr2010 Land of the fair go (docx) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Q: What is the difference between being a renaissance man and a dilettante? AskThePhilosopher 10Apr2010 The quest for Renaissance man (docx) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Q: In which circumstances can our notions of justice accommodate trials by media? Ask The Philosopher 03Apr2010 When media become dispensers of justice (docx) (Uploaded by Katherine Cheng.)
Nature of Science Presentation (pptx)
Belgian MPs are set to pass a law to ban the burka & nikab (full body and full face coverings). Women who defy the ban will be fined or jailed. Suggested discussion topics: – What are the different ‘-isms’ at … Continue reading